Our archival and other information relates to the nine parishes which we serve, namely Crickhowell, Llanbedr, Llanelly (Mon.), Llanfihangel Cwmdu, Llangattock, Llangenny, Llangynidr, Patrishow and Tretower.
Parish Registers. Microfilm and CDRom copies of the surviving parish registers of all the Anglican churches in the local area:
|Crickhowell||1633 - 1997||Llangenny||1695 - 1970|
|Llanbedr||1675 – 1989||Llangynidr||1783 - 1992|
|Llanelly, Mon.||1701 – 1963||Patrishow||1728 - 1992|
|Llanfihangel Cwmdu||1734 – 1992||Tretower||1813 - 1992|
|Llangattock||1703 – 1992|
Progress has been made on transcribing and indexing the parish registers – Crickhowell and Llanbedr are now complete and Llangenny in progress. We also have a transcription of the record of Bethesda Baptist Chapel, Llangattock and of the Crickhowell Municipal Cemetery Burial Registers (1888 -2012).
We now have a transcription of the Tretower Parish Records transcribed by Jackie Birch.
Monumental Inscriptions. Records are available for most local church and chapel graveyards either in print, fiche or computer file form. Most are searchable by name. We also have a variety of MI data in digital form for bordering areas, especially the Heads of Valleys and Gwent.
Tithe Maps. Photocopies of the tithe maps and schedules of local parishes as follows:
|Crickhowell||1845||Llangattock||1845||Also the Hamlets of GrwyneFechan
and Grwyne Fawr (then in Talgarth Parish)
|Llanfihangel Cwmdu *||1845||Patrishow||1841|
Census Returns. Local details for 1841-1901. CDRom, fiche and paper formats; some surname indexes.
Registers of Electors. Currently available: 1873, 1925, 1964, 1982, 1996 and 2008.
Early Ordnance Survey Maps. Copies of the OS Surveyors’ initial mapping of the area (1813-1815), and the First Edition 1 inch to I Mile Map, first published in 1832. Coverage of the OS 25 Inches to One Mile sheets of the area is complete, although not for every edition. There is also a good cover of first edition 6 Inches to One Mile Maps.
Estate Maps. Of particular importance is our collection of facsimile copies of the Beaufort Estate Maps of the Manors of Tretower and Crickhowell. There were two surveys, one in 1587 (the earliest example on Wales of an estate map drawn to scale) and a later one of 1760. The originals of these are in the National Library of Wales. An atlas, Estate Maps of the Crickhowell Area 1587 and 1760, of coloured extracts from these surveys, featuring the Crickhowell, Llangattock and Tretower areas, with an introductory essay, is a prized resource of the Archive Centre.
Other estate maps available in facsimile form at CDAC include Sir Edward Williams’s Estate of Grwyne Fawr and Grwyne Fechan, Dinas Lordship, 1759-60; The Earl of Ashburnham’s Estate in Talgarth and Cwmdu (ca. 1770); and Lord Vernon’s Breconshire Estates, 1776.
A CDAC Handbook, Maps for Local History at Crickhowell District Archive Centre, is available to assist users of our map collection.
Sale Catalogues. In the first two decades of the 20th Century many of the large estates in the area were broken up and their sale catalogues are a valuable local history resource. In addition to providing information about buildings (and sometimes contents) they usually include mapping of the associated land holdings. Important sale catalogues available are of the Beaufort Estate of 1915 and 1923 (Llangattock Park): the Glanusk Estate (1919 and 1920); Court-y-Gollen Estates (1891); the Ashburnham Estate (1913); Llangattock Court Estate (1919); Kille (1928); and the Bailey Estate (1920).
Aerial Photographs. Crickhowell from the Air is a file of aerial photographs of the town and its immediate environs, 1932-1999.
Images of the local area in the past. The collection includes:
- Reproduction of prints (lithographs, etc.) prior to the widespread use of the camera.
- A photographic collection in two albums classified under People and Places; and
- An extensive digital collection of historic and recent photographs made by Chris Lewis.
An Index to Wills of the Crickhowell Area, 1539 – 1857. Transcripts have also been made of selected local wills and inventories. A research guide, Wills of the Crickhowell Area, is available.
CDAC has an on-going project to transcribe selected local wills and inventories and a file of completed transcripts is available for consultation. A research guide, Wills of the Crickhowell Area, is available.
Trade Directories. File of extracts featuring the local area, 1791 – 1926.
Listed Buildings Record. The CADW record of Listed Buildings is available for all parishes (inc. location maps).
CPAT Reports. Publications of the Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust on local sites of archaeological importance.
Local Archive. This is the core of CDAC’s collection and comprises material collected over 50 years by the local History Society and Civic Society, together with subsequent donations from many individuals. All items are entered on a database and digitally searchable. Items of note include:
- Document collections and writings of local historians, notably Louis Hurley, Roy Davies and Brian Couzens.
- Minute books of the Crickhowell branch of the Royal British Legion, 1949 - 1973.
- First minute book and records of Crickhowell and District Civic Society.
- Minute book, Cwmdu Vestry 1827 – 1990 and assorted material from Cwmdu Church.
- Two ledgers of Frank Powell, cobbler, The Legar 1929 – 1937 and other tradesmen’s records.
- The Tasker Family Bible.
- Research reports by Karl Martin on roads and tracks.
- The deeds of the Watkins family of Cwmdu, 1671-1865.
- A comprehensive record of church and chapel buildings of the area, past and present.
Henry Thomas Payne MS. A noted antiquarian and rector of Llanbedr, Payne (1759-1832) produced valuable ms accounts on all of the parishes which we serve (‘A Parochial Visitation’, 1785 and ‘Parochial Notices’, 1806). We have photocopies of much of his work (the originals are at the National Library of Wales or the Powys Archives Office).
On loan from Powys Archive Office and Library Service (boxed and indexed) we have a comprehensive collection of local Minute books, etc., for the Crickhowell Parish Council (1894-1974) and its successor, the Community Council.
Local Family history records and House Histories resulting from research by CDAC volunteers and users of our collections.
Book Collection. We have a small library of books, journals and pamphlets with a local focus, including a complete set of Brycheiniog, the journal of the Brecknock Society.
(Revised April 2014)